Monday, March 16, 2009

Political Science

I don’t understand political science!

Today I received an email from a friend who wanted to share with me the opinions of Czech President Vaclav Klaus, who is also the President pro-tem of the European Union. Speaking at the Second International Conference on Climate Change in New York recently, President Klaus said “environmentalism and the global warming alarmism is {sic} challenging our freedom”. He further suggested that such “alarmists” are only interested in profiting from doing research, writing, and speaking about the subject. “They want to change us and our behavior. Their ambition is to control and manipulate us”. He went on to say “there is no fixed and stable relationship between measured temperature and CO2 emissions”.

As CEO of TRO JungBrannen, it is incumbent upon me to be as well informed on the subject of global warming as possible, since buildings have such a significant impact on energy consumption and are major contributors of greenhouse gas emissions. Although I have never been particularly adept at science I have tried my best to read and understand the relevant scientific studies, and I am thoroughly convinced that there is, indeed, a direct correlation between greenhouse gas emissions and global temperatures. Moreover, I believe that our behavior as occupants of this planet significantly contributes to that warming. One of the reasons I became a LEED accredited professional was to encourage the design of environmentally sustainable building - a “behavior” professionals like me have willingly embraced because we think it will make a positive difference in our world.

Contrary to President Klaus, I do not do so because of a profit motive, and I am certainly not trying to manipulate anyone. And if by “freedom” he is suggesting that everyone should be allowed to pollute our environment without accountability, then I want no part of such a “free” society. While it may be true that some businesses are inclined to support global warming as a selfish path to easy profit, I believe that such businesses are in the distinct minority. I assure you, President Klaus, the nearly three hundred professionals in my firm practice sustainable design because they believe it is the right thing to do. Our professional conscience compels us to act responsibly. Given the overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary, it is thoroughly irresponsible for world leaders like you to deny that climate change is influenced by mankind.

It is vital that we set politics aside and dispassionately assess the true science, not the political science, when discussing this vital issue.