Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

Each January, as the New Year dawns, I reflect on what transpired during the previous twelve months and make earnest vows of self-improvement for the coming months. We all do this, I suppose, and sometimes we even stick to our resolutions for a while – I actually didn’t eat any French fries for an entire month last year!

Anyway, as I was writing mine down I recalled a video I had watched the previous day of my sister-in-law’s recent wedding. In the video her new husband reads a poem to her in which he makes several vows, among them this one; ”to make our own rainbows.” So, at the considerable risk of plagiarism, I’d suggest that we put that one at the top of our lists for 2010. Let’s all create as many rainbows as possible every day - in our work, our marriages, our friendships, and in ourselves.

I liked it so much that I scratched off all the other resolutions I had, including the one about French fries.