Sunday, November 21, 2010

Geoengineering

Today is my Godson’s sixth birthday, I almost gave him a pogo stick, but instead I bought two “young scientist” projects that teach simple lessons in climatology and renewable energy through entertaining experiments that any six year old kid can do. I know the pogo stick sounds like more fun, but I think he has a future as a geoengineer and I wanted to get him started early!

Geoengineering is an emerging science that studies the potential manipulation of the Earth’s climate to offset global warming. The most seductive proposal now under consideration involves injecting sulfur dioxide into the upper atmosphere to simulate, on a global scale, the effects of the Mount Pinatubo eruption in 1991 when the Earth’s temperatures cooled considerably from the ash cloud. And, it’s cheap and relatively easy to do. So, what’s the problem, you ask? Well, scientists recently met in Japan and agreed to defer geoengineering initiatives until the international effects on such diverse things as rainfall and terrorism can be studied in detail. Very sensible; they point out that we don’t want a rogue nation to upset the atmospheric apple cart. However, I think there is a more fundamental reason to reject geoengineering proposals such as this. If you’ll pardon the pun, it’s an unsustainable quick fix. As Americans, we want a quick fix for everything. For example, we’d rather take a diet pill than eat sensibly and exercise regularly. Our grandchildren {and Godchildren} deserve better.

Don’t worry, this Christmas I’ll get him the pogo stick.