Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving

This weekend the new Watkins Center at Heywood Hospital opened in Gardner, Mass; on Thursday evening I attended a reception at the hospital and met many of the clinicians who helped shape the design.

I particularly enjoyed speaking with Rick Ellbeg who is the hospital’s Director of Critical Care, Emergency, and Surgical Services. Rick was involved throughout the design and planning process and was justifiably proud of the end result. However, he emphasized that it was the extraordinary experience that he and his staff had with our design team that made the project so successful. He thanked me and said, “You are fortunate to be leading such a great group of people.” The next day at work I reread the foreword to our firm’s monograph. In it I had written, “As we conclude our first century of practice, we recognize that our most valuable asset is our people – talented, inspiring and thoughtful people with exceptional credentials.”

So, let me take this opportunity to give thanks to the Heywood Hospital design team and to all the TRO Jung|Brannen staff who make my job so enjoyable; and, finally, thanks to Rick who reminded me.